- Published on Wednesday, 12 September 2012
- Written by Lee Donowitz
Ever since the first cave-dwelling human accidentally walked by a burning bush of Cannabis and inhaled the smoke, man has been on a quest to harness the power of the plant and its’ many medicinal and healing properties.
From burning it in piles, to placing it in pots, through rolling it in leaves and papyrus, the invention of the pipe was the first time a device was used to draw smoke indirectly from the herb. The pipe in a way was the 3.0 version of smoking cannabis. With the invention of hookahs in the Middle East bringing to life the next phase with water pipes, humanity was content for quite some time.
Turning the page to the new millennium brought about the evolution of burning, through precision heat control and the concept of vaporizing. Burning the herb through combustion produces carcinogens and smoke, which lead to many respiratory disorders and even cancer. However, vaporizing the substance through precisely controlled substances heats all the beneficial Cannabinoids without going past the sweet spot and combusting into fire. In short your vapor consists of 95% smoke WITHOUT carcinogens or the bad smell of burning all the non-active compounds from which the odor is created.
After about a decade of products and improvements, the vaporization process is now portable. No more make-shift heat guns or plug-in vaporizers with non-precision temperature control, for in this future we vaporize with style and discretion on the go. Since we found the market filled with options we decided to narrow the choices down to the best ones money can buy. In our research we looked at all the details from the stability of the company to the performance and durability of the product, and even our tips on usage and drawing smoke from the device. The one thing that is absolutely certain is the learning curve with each and every model we tested. Our journey was revolutionary and even though it was tough to narrow it down, here are the results:
By Thermo-Essence Technologies
Designed and manufactured 100% in the USA
The ThermoVape T1 is the world's first short flow path, rapid extraction, portable convection vaporizer. This passionate company operates and manufactures in the United States and has produced a scientifically based solution to vaporization in a compact, discrete, and mutli-functional unit. Complete with the Revolution Adaptor, the T1 can handle vaporizing anything from loose-leaf tobacco and herbs, to essential oils and concentrates. It produces the optimal temperature to vaporize the compounds of your substance without the need to adjust it manually. Due to the short flow path this little zinger can deliver some huge draws and big clouds of vaporized smoke which is awesome. The bowl does not need a metal screen and is very easy to load and clean which significantly improves the maintenance time.
- COLORS: The T1 comes in Black or White with matching Revolution adaptors.
- DRAW: Due to the short flow path it’s best to draw small and slow puffs. The drag is slightly heavy so there’s no need to take huge long puffs.
- USAGE: The ThermoVape T1 comes with 3 sets of rechargeable batteries which we recommend keeping charged at all times. Fully charged batteries ensure the best vaporization temperature. We also found that a nice 15 second warm up before packing the bowl was a great improvement.
CHECK IT OUT: http://thermovape.com/
By Organicix, LLC
The World's Most Advanced Pocket Vaporizer
The DaVinci is a highly advanced and discrete portable vaporizer. The company prides itself on paying attention to all the details by manufacturing from medical grade silicone, stainless steel and non gassing plastics. The digital temperature control is truly the most advanced system available, and gives you precise and accurate vaporization temperatures of your herbs in Celsius or Fahrenheit. This unit is also battery powered which is far superior in terms of function and health, to other butane powered products in the market.
In addition to the technology, this handy device is packed full of additional bells and whistles, including an internal storage compartment, built in cleaning brush, ergonomic design, automatic shut off and a drop tested case, and 2 insertable oil cans which allow you to vaporize essential oils and preferred liquids.
- COLORS: The DaVinci comes in Black, White, or Gray
- DRAW: The flexible straw of the DaVinci makes the inhale and draw process very easy, and for best results we recommend taking very slow and light draws.
- USAGE: The cleaning brush is a very important piece of packing and emptying bowls so make sure you don’t lose it. The DaVinci is a compact sized Vaporizer so if you have large hands and fingers, you will need that brush. Make sure you always have it after each use as the material used in the brush is perfect for the job. You can order replacements from them which is great but nobody likes to lose useful things.
CHECK IT OUT: http://www.davincivaporizer.com/
Designed in San Francisco & manufactured in China.
The Ploom Pax premium loose leaf vaporizer is small enough to fit in your pocket and packs a big punch. With elegantly sleek engineering and an easy to use retractable mouthpiece, the Pax brings refined design to the vaporization world. This compact device is powered with a long-lasting internal lithium ion battery and offers three temperature settings which are accessed by removing the mouthpiece. The indicator displays status, temperature setting, and charge status with a gentle shake, and the wide chamber allows for easy bowl packing and emptying which is magnetically snapped into place.
The vapor path is constructed entirely from medical grade components and laser-welded stainless steel. It runs perfectly silent and when charged, is ready to use in 30 seconds. The Pax combines modern technologies, materials, and processes with beautifully simple yet effective design.
- COLORS: The Pax comes in Onyx, Cobalt, and Amethyst colors. (Blue, Black, Purple for the non-color wheel inclined)
- DRAW: Due to the short flow path it’s best to draw small and slow puffs. The drag is slightly heavy so there’s no need to take huge long puffs
- USAGE: The Ploom Pax chamber at the bottom will get very hot. It’s important to remember to allow a short period of cooling when you are going to reload between bowls. Heat tends to make sure you remember its’ presence, but if you don’t like to burn to learn, then make sure to keep that in mind.
CHECK IT OUT: http://www.ploom.com
THCbiz Highly recommends reading our TRENDS blog post: Smoking Vs Vaporizing: Do you know what you're putting in your lungs?